Archive

12 Mar 2018

The boy in the striped pyjamas

CRISTINA'S BOOK REVIEW


Historical

SUNDAY, MARCH 11, 2018

Winter afternoon: Reading The boy in the striped pyjamas.

The boy in the striped pyjamas. John Boyne. 2007.
David Fickling Books. 206 pages.
Hi book lovers! I am back with a book I just love. I hope you find my review inspiring and get down to reading the story I am presenting this month, that I STRONGLY recommend!


First encounter

With this touching story, I met a young boy named Bruno. He was a really naughty and curious boy. When he moved with his family to Auschwitz leaving everything he had in Berlin, he felt lonely and bored. There was something under the surface of Bruno that made him a good choice for me. I can say that I felt a genuine affection for him.


Plot

The story of Bruno is simple and straightforward. Through the eyes of an eight-year-old boy largely shielded from the reality of World War II, we witness a forbidden friendship that grows between Bruno, the son of a Nazi commandant, and Shmuel, a Jewish boy held captive in a concentration camp. Though both are separated physically by a barbed wire fence, their lives become inescapably intertwined. One day, Bruno puts on the clothes of the prisoners and the camp guards take him for another Jew, forcing the two friends to enter a crowd in a place, in a gas chamber.

My mind

The boy in the striped pyjamas is a powerful fictional story that offers a unique perspective on how prejudice, hatred and violence affect innocent people, particularly children, during wartime.

Thanks!

Thanks to my niece, Iris, who told me about this book, which is fantastic both for children and adults. Together, Bruno and Shmuel recall the importance of friendship and generosity, something that this materialistic and individualistic society usually forgets.

Posted by Cristina at 17:30 PM

1 comment:

  1. Yes, it's a powerful story. Probably because it's seen from a child's eyes, as you say.

    ReplyDelete